Glenbranter Estate Sale Details 1921
The leaflet is courtesy of Glenbranter Forest office staff with particular thanks to Ian Adams who has stored these old files for many years.
The sale particulars of the Estate owned by Sir Harry Lauder the then well known entertainer contains the details of the five farms of Glenbranter, Balliemore, Glenshellish, Invernoaden and Island and their outruns plus the main house of Glenbranter and its policies all totalling 9768 acres. There is no indication if the auction did take place or if there was agreement to sell the land to the Forestry Commission privately prior to the 14th September, the date of the auction. The Forestry Commission title deeds indicate that it acquired 8363 acres of land and buildings by feu charter on 28 August 1922. Again as there is no sale map to hand it is not clear which areas within the sale it did not acquire.
On the cover there is the hand written name of J Fraser (District Officer 1927-1931) and could possibly be John Fraser who was head instructor at Beaufort Forester Training School and subsequently Conservator North Scotland. Inside on the first page is a hand written name and address which is a little difficult to decipher but possibly reads as William ? Lipin, Lyndale, Blairmore. This person may also have written the details on the last page of the finances of keeping 700 ewes on a farm plus 40 cattle and 300 hens? with a potential profit of £757.
Note that the Forestry Commission continued to run several of the farms on tenancies for many years and also leased out Glenbranter house for employment training purposes from 1933.
More details can be sourced in the History of Glenbranter Forest found next on this website.
Picture added on 06 July 2018 at 20:33