Kilcoy Forest, Black Isle - planting map
Maps are courtesy of Inverness, Ross and Skye Forest District and show the forest areas originally Kessock and part of Kilcoy Forests according to other similar map titles but Kilcoy only on outside of map cover. The Black Isle Forests were amalgamated into one unit possibly around 1955-1965 and in later years amalgamated once again under the Culloden Forest District unit in the 1980s.
This hand drawn map on an old Ordnance Survey map base shows the extensive spread of a large number of relatively small wood areas in the forest unit. In this map the compartments are a confusing mix of numbers restarting at Compartment No 1 at least twice and probably reflects the original two forest unit structure. Even more confusing is one series of numbers in the Deer Park starting at Compartment D1 and running through to D10 and another set with C prefixes in the Munlochy Bay area!
The planting years again run from 1948 through to 1954 with some areas where the area was coloured washed but not annotated. Some event must have overtaken the work in progress and leave it to local historians to figure it all out.
Picture added on 29 May 2018 at 08:16