Glentress Forest Camp circa 1957 and later
Form an indistinct aerial photograph dated 1957 the author has tried to draw in the positions of all the buildings that appear to be on the camp site and surrounds at that time.
The Forestry School has moved to Faskally and the forest has taken possession of the whole camp with a number of workers and foresters now staying in some of the buildings. The large accommodation double hut has been removed and a new Head Forester’s house is in the process of being built as building No 12. The letters refer to buildings other than double pitch roofed huts and may be air raid shelters, Nissan huts, toilets. One exception is Building No 4 which is believed to be an air raid shelter as well.
See attached PDF which shows an enlarged section of the aerial photograph.
More work is to be done on sorting out what each building was used for at this time but any details would now be very welcome on their use at this time (1957), later on say 1965 and when they were demolished. Names of people and families staying in any of the buildings over this period would be very welcome indeed.
4. Nil Renamed A
5. Air Raid Shelter
14. Nil building demolished
15. Nil building demolished
16. Used as garage
17. Nil building demolished
19. Used as store and also main electrical distribution centre
20. Converted to Forest Worker House No 1 and 2
21. Used as Forest Worker House No 3
23. Used as recreation building
24. Nil building - replaced
25. Nil Building - replaced
26. Fuel Pumps
28. Forest Offices
30. Old Toll House - forest worker house
32. Replaced and used as Sewage treatment area
33. Building may have been moved and replaced with Nissan hut
34. Former large garage area but now two buildings include No35
35. as above but often referred to a 'The Cook House'
A. Former Toilets
C. Explosives store
D. Air Raid Shelters
E. Nissan Huts
F. Nissan huts
Picture added on 27 April 2018 at 17:11