Glentress Forest Camp sketch
Sketch by Martin Harrity drawn when as a young boy. His father, John Harrity was one of the cooks at the camp when it served as a Forester Training School.
The actual period that this drawing reflects is not quite certain but possibly just following the end of the use of the camp as a Forester Training School and when part of the camp was converted to accommodate foresters, forest workers and their families. Note that not all the huts in sections 5 and 6 have been drawn in.
The red numbers reflect the position of:
1/. New office and Biking centre-2017
2/. “Square” - 1955
3/. Eshiels - 1955
4/. Eshiels road - 1955
5/. High ground huts – 1955 Some missing from sketch
6/. Low ground huts – 1955 Some missing from sketch
In the Forest History of Glentress, written in 1951 by Mr T A Robbie District Officer 1946-1952, the work by the 60 forestry students is elaborated on and also their role in fighting fires and catching up on the extensive back log of thinning. The report also pinpoints the start of the forest road construction by the men from the Ministry of Labour instruction Centre (The Camp) in 1936 and that work progressed only slowly to a distance of 1.5 miles by the outbreak of WWII. In 1947-48 a clerk of works was appointed to oversee the road construction in the forest (assume by FC workers and contractors) and over six miles were completed over the next few years along with many bulldozed only fair weather roads. A bridge was also built over the Soonhope burn.
Martin’s drawing shows accommodation for road roller driver and describes a stone crusher and stone grading drum set up in the top quarry. There is also mention of the forestry students recording birdlife in the forest and also the results of data from bird boxes set up in the forest again highlighted by Marin’s sketch.
Picture added on 25 April 2018 at 19:43