Glentress Forest Camp sketch
Sketch by Martin Harrity drawn when as a young boy. His father, John Harrity was one of the cooks at the camp when it served as a Forester Training School.
The red numbers indicate the location of some present day buildings:
7. Exercise hut
8. Tepee Field
9. Peel Biking Centre
10. Hope House
11. Former camp location
Note the details about the bees kept in the lower quarry. John Keenleyside, Forres, recalls that when he was a student at Glentress 1951-1953 that the bees were kept by Mr W W Smith a well known expert on honey bees. Keeping bees was his livelihood and he had over 150 hives in various locations of which 30 were located in the lower Glentress quarry.
The area was a good location for bees due to the varied flowering cycle of trees and plants in the area. The bees took advantage of firstly the flowering sycamore, then the hawthorn, the clover rich local fields and later in the season the bell heather on the rocky scree slopes of the Glentress hills and finally the flowering calluna heather on hills tops.
Picture added on 21 April 2018 at 07:54