Working plan for Culloden Group - 2nd half
The working plan is courtesy of Inverness, Ross and Skye Forest District. Due to its large file size this is the second half of the plan, the first half is available on Record No 3735. See the map of forest locations and the PDF with the plan details via the buttons on bottom right of image.
The plan was completed in 1963 but was worked on from 1958 (the delay caused by decision to request a resurvey of Assich and Craigphadraig Forests) by a number of staff members but principally District Officer John Y Ogilvie. There are contributions from Alasdair (AM) Fraser (District Officer prior to John) and Jock Chrystal (Divisional Officer or Senior Forest Officer).
The detailed working plan is in the usual format of two sections with twenty three chapters in the first and three in the latter. The plan covers three forests namely Culloden, Assich and Craig Phadraig, all of which were still operating as separate units, and provides background detail, acquisition history, historical planting progress and management issues for each forest. It is noteworthy that there were no forest nurseries.
The second half of the plan recorded in Record No ??? is of interest to family historians and others are the list of names of past and present as listed in Chapter 19. The names mentioned are:
Conservators - John Fraser, John A Dickson and Hamish A Maxwell
Divisional Officers – Frank Scott, John Fraser, J T Fitzherbert, John A Dickson and Jock Chrystall
Foresters or Foremen in charge at Culloden – A Rose, A Mackintosh, S MacMillan, A Campbell, R S Brown, D MacDonald, D MacLeod and W Mackay. Assistant Foresters in 1963 - J MacKinnon and Hugh Thom.
Foresters or Foremen in charge at Craigphadraig – P Stewart, A C Gray, D Murray, W Mackay with Assistant Forester S Fraser in 1963.
Foresters or Foremen in charge at Assich – A Mackintosh, D M MacLeod, A Campbell, R S Brown, M MacRae, A MacKenzie.
Industrial staff members are not named but numbers employed in 1963 are listed as 32 in Culloden, 6 in Assich and 2 in Craigphadraig.
In Chaper 15 Powered Vehicles and Machines the following are noted:
At Culloden a 7 Ton Bedford Lorry, two Fordson Major Tractors (one pulling pole wagon to take timber from forest to sawmill and the second, a petrol model, worked as previous but also drove a second single bench sawmill at busy periods), double Graham bench erected in 1953 with two 14 foot slides powered by Albion engine, the single bench previously mentioned, two portable cross cut benches (McConnel and Liner), a Gorwood debarking machine and an electrically driven Elliot Woodworking Machine in the joiner’s workshop. There is mention of the hot and cold creosote tank.
Picture added on 04 September 2017 at 14:09