Ratagan Forest Planting Map
Map is courtesy of Inverness, Ross and Skye Forest District and staff at their Fort Augustus office. See the large picture.
Lovely old hand coloured forest planting map drawn on an old Ordnance Survey series base. The earliest plantings are next to the head of Loch Duich and the access road into Ratagan and Glenelg. The planting programme continues on into 1959 following further land acquisition to the west. This area contains some Forest Research land.
This was one of the very early Forestry Commission forests acquired in 1921 and in 1925 they planted 125 acres managed by a forester Mr J A MacAlpine who was in charge from 1922-1929.
The blue lines denote where the harvesting roads were planned or actually constructed and most likely ‘drawn by eye’ from the points where they crossed the compartment boundaries.
Picture added on 24 February 2017 at 10:53